Hyperpigmentation describes how the skin appears darker than usual in some regions like the mouth and lip area. It can either cover large areas or happens in small patches. There are so many kinds of hyperpigmentation. A few of them are melasma caused by hormonal changes in the body or during pregnancy. Another one is sunspots; they are related to excessive sun exposure, also known as liver spots.
Post-inflammatory hypertension is also a kind of hyperpigmentation, and a common problem caused by it is acne. Those dark spots on our skin occur when it produces more melanin than usual, giving our skin its color. To cover these dark spots around the mouth and lip area, we sometimes use makeup, but wearing makeup every time is impossible. A few treatments and methods can be used to treat those dark spots, i.e. topical medications, laser treatments, sun protection, and much more.
But like every chemical has its advantages and disadvantages. So, why not choose something more effective and less harmful? Here are some natural home remedies with some natural ingredients that you can easily find in your kitchen to treat hyperpigmentation around the mouth.
How to remove hyperpigmentation?
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is widely used to treat discoloration around the mouth region. Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which is very useful for treating dark spots on the skin.
- Combine equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Now apply it to your dark spots near the mouth area and leave it for few minutes.
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can try mixing few drops of lemon juice with vinegar.
- Or else you can use 3 tablespoons of orange juice with ½ tablespoon of vinegar.
- After applying this, rinse it off with lukewarm water and apply any moisturizer.
- For better results, you can use this DIY twice daily.
Aloe vera has a natural depigmenting compound named aloin which works effectively against pigmented skin.
- Take enough quantity of aloe vera gel and apply it to your dark spots
- Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- For significant differences, use it in both morning and evening.
Green tea extract
Applying green tea bags can also lighten up the dark spots, but you can also apply green tea extract.
- You have to steep a green tea bag into boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the bag from the water and let it cool down
- And now rub that tea bag onto the dark spots around your lips and mouth.
Buttermilk is widely used for sunburns and different skin-related problems because of its bleaching properties.
- Apply buttermilk on your dark regions and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
- If you have oily skin, it’s preferable to add a little lemon or lime juice to the buttermilk.
- Now rinse it off with lukewarm water and apply your moisturizer.
Red lentils are known to be good for the skin because of their antioxidant property. There are so many face masks out there that has red lentils in them. To make a red lentil mask, follow the steps
- Soak an adequate amount of red lentils in a bowl full of water overnight.
- Now create an affine paste using a mixer or processor.
- Then apply this paste onto your face and leave it for 15 to 20 mins
- Now rinse it off with normal water and pat dry your skin with a towel.
Castor oil helps reduces hyperpigmentation around the mouth because of the presence of omega-3 fatty acids
- Please take a tiny amount of castor oil in hand and heat it by rubbing it between the hands.
- Apply and massage it into your face.
- And wash it off with cold water.
- For optimum results, use it regularly.
Lemon acts as a belching compound which eventually lightens up the dark spots.
- Take a slice of lemon and apply it to the skin and leave it for 10 minutes.
- You can do this twice a day.
- People with sensitive skin can mix 1 tsp of lemon juice with 1 tsp of water or rose, whatever you prefer.
- Using this regularly can make a vast difference in your pigmentation.
Studies have shown that turmeric helps reduce dark spots, clear out the uneven skin tone and reduce acne scars.
- Take 2 tsp of gram flour, add 2 tsp of rice water and add ½ tsp of turmeric.
- Make a thick paste and then apply it as a mask.
- Leave for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
Read more about Hyperpigmentation on AOCD
- Take one tablespoon of sandalwood powder to one tsp of orange zest mix it with orange juice to make a smooth paste.
- Another option is to take sandalwood, turmeric, honey and rose water and paste it.
- Apply it onto the affected area and then rinse it off with cold water.
Oats are great for reducing hyperpigmentation because of their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Take 1 full spoon of oats, grind it into powder form.
- Now mix it with little water to make a paste. Then apply this to the affected area.
- After the paste dries, rinse it off with cold water.
These homemade remedies do not cause any reactions or allergies, but we should take precautions. In this regard, first, apply a smaller quantity for a lesser time. If it doesn’t show up any kind of itchiness or redness, you can apply larger quantity for 30 to 45 minutes and get good results out of it.